Heightened FOOD Safety Practices Update
March 18, 2020:
Our commitment is to deliver safe and healthy food to Winnipeg, and more than ever that trust you place in us can be relied on. Here is an update in regards to how we are adapting to reduce the spread of the virus COVID-19.
Our warehouse is an inspected food-safe facility that is closed to the public with very few people having exposure to your food. Minimal handling of produce is our normal. Our food transferred by 1 or 2 cautious, long-time employee (or myself, the Owner) from the boxes we receive it in to your box, then put back in a walk-in cooler.
Of course we practice Food Handler Safety practices already with an inspection score I am incredibly proud of. But here are some of the increased measures we have implement:
- our Delivery Drivers will place your order outside your door, ring the bell, then step back 2 metres. You can expect them to still be at your door with a smile and friendly greeting when you open it.
- sanitizing our blue bins and lids with approved full strength disinfectant for at least 1 minute before an immersed rinse (a step we decided to take beyond the normal cleaning/sanitizing procedure set forth by the Health Department)
- added plastic bin liners, temporarily for March 18 & 19 while we wait for cardboard boxes to arrive. Food in the bag will be transferred by our Driver from our sanitized bins to the one you have left outside of your door.
- As of March 23 we will be switching to single-use cardboard boxes for all our orders, including fresh box, perhaps permanently, tbd.
- sanitizing high touch areas often such as door knobs, light switches
- sanitizing high touch points on our delivery vehicles each route
- increased hand-washing, face-touching avoidance and cough etiquette practices
- Pick-up and delivery persons are maintaining 2 metres between our staff members
- Processing cardless credit card payments, no longer accepting cash for the time being
If there is someone in your household who has tested positive to the Corona Virus, please contact us immediately to let us know. The health and safety of our Staff and Customers is our priority.
We have no intention of closing and realize we are providing an essential service. There is no disruption to the supply chain at this time. Our system was built strong and now is our time to shine. I am so proud of and grateful to our team, and to our supply partners (especially our local farmers, bakers, small-batch makers, and greenhouse operators). And the love we have been getting from our customers is keeping us going. We are working long hours while like many, our families are home self-isolating by choice.
These additional steps we have implemented have added to labour and packaging costs. It is likely we will need to raise the prices of our fresh boxes soon in order to stay open. Our prices have remained extremely low and value high. We hope you understand we need to cover our costs and stay afloat, pay our small and dedicated crew of employees, and continue to write cheques to our local small-scale sustainable farmers. Thank you in advance to our also committed customer base for your understanding. You are the best! Please know we have you and our entire community’s right to a secure food source on the top of our minds, and tips of our well-washed fingers.